Sunday, January 19, 2014

sewing??

Oopsie!  I did make a post yesterday, but it got hung up in the system.  It's there now, just scroll down.

As for today....
Well, today didn't go as planned, but it was decent ;-)

Last night we had friends over for dinner, and somehow one thing led to another, and conversation and they hung out until 2am!  (I'm usually pretty much ready for bed by 10 or 11 so this was unusual for us. I feel so old!! LOLOL).  I was too tired to clean up once they left, so I put the food away and left the kitchen a wreck, and so guess what?!
That's exactly what I woke up to (no little elves cleaning up my house at night. yours??)

Just I was finishing up the housework, TheMostImportantGuy found out he had go into the office for a 5 hour marathon document editing session with the executives, so off he went.  MyFavoriteKid had been over at a friends house since the night before, and so there I was...alone for a bit!


I did a couple of hours of "sewing", and that is in quotation marks because what I am learning about sewing is that a lot of it does not involve acutal "sewing".  I feel myself grumbling, "Okay okay...enough with the preparing of the fabric and the cutting and the pinning and the pressing already!! This is not sewing!!"  (but it is, of course)

I know that when I cook I consider prep work to be an enjoyable part of the cooking, but some people don't feel like they are cooking until the food is in the skillet.  I think perhaps I might I feel that way about sewing.  We'll see, though. More will be revealed.


Well, today I took a crack at drafting my own A-Line skirt pattern based on my own measurements.  I created the pattern on tracing paper, then I cut out a muslin version if the skirt so that I can sew it up, try it on, and figure out where the darts are going.  Unfortunately I had to stop after the cutting and before the actual sewing started because the light was getting bad and MyFK was arriving home anyhow.  So all that "sewing" without actually sewing is what I accomplished today.

The whole time I was drafting that pattern, all I could think about was that I Love Lucy episode where she makes her own dress.




Yes indeedy.
It could happen.
Really. It could.


Well, I'm not sure when I'll have time at the machine to sew my trial skirt this week, especially with all the bouncing back and forth between houses.  Additionally, I am about to take a two week series of improvisation workshops, so it's going to be a very busy couple of weeks!

Knitting.  It's far more portable.
And you don't need to pin or press a damn thing!!


0 comments: