Friday, September 28, 2012

just keep knitting...knitting, knitting, knitting...

Back in August I gave a bried nod in a post about a shawl that had I started on the 17th. I'm still not done yet, but here's a look at where my sights are aimed:


the pattern in Sonnenblume (which means "sunflower") 
by Anne Hanson of Knitspot 

It's a top down shawl.  For you non-knitters out there, that means I started at the center top edge with that honey-comb section that mimics the center of the sunflower. The shawl grows wider and wider as it grows longer. And lemme tell ya',  I have spent weeks working my way towards that bottom edge there!

I have only have 12 more rows plus the bind off to go, but the rows are taking forevahhhhhh because each row at this point has just over 775 stitches, and a whole lotta lace action to keep track of!!  Fun knitting, but sooooo looooong!!!  Each row is now taking me about an hour (I'm slow and I get distracted by television and chores and life and whatnot), not to mention that fact that I don't have much uninterrupted knitting these days.

I have a goal to try to finish this thing by the end of next week, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. 
Even after the knitting, I will have a massive blocking job to contend with (blocking is the soaking and then the pinning out all of the points of the shawl to open the lace).  This was a yarn/pattern club knit along, and from what I'm hearing, the pinning is quite the project, too!

But for now, I will just keep knitting....knitting, knitting, knitting...!


3 comments:

Kerry said...

Gorgeous pattern! I love Anne's designs. I don't think there's been one yet that I've even felt meh about. I knit Sprossling last year and it was one of the most enjoyable and well written patterns I've knit in my entire life. Can't wait to see your finished shawl! All the time spent will be worth it!

(formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

That is just gawgeous! I need to try out an Anne Hanson pattern.

Jean said...

I'm on the last pattern row but had to stop and tink when I found myself mindlessly knitting knit stitch a nd not following the pattern! How? But I reckon about two hours knitting to finish,