Saturday, June 30, 2012

snaps on saturday (the mystery addition)

Ok, my fabulous foodie friends. I was unpacking some kitchen stuff at the new house today (it's not done, there are finishing touches, but yes!...we are far enough along to unpack some things).... Anyhow, I was unpacking some stuff at the new house and ran into this implement, that I do not recall purchasing, and it does not belong to TheMostImportantGuy, and I have no idea what it is for.


Several tines about 3" long, and all very pointy on the end, like little nails.

I haven't googled it yet, but my best guesses so far are: pastry docker cake slicer (or something that marks where to slice it) cheese slicer (for a crumbly cheese like a good bleu or stilton) Do y'all have any idea wtf this is??

11 comments:

Unknown said...

It was used to cut angelfood cake.

jodi said...

As soon as I saw it I thought of pastry, but I have no idea why. It's not like I know anything about pastry. I made a pie last year and it was a huge event.

jodi said...

As soon as I saw it I thought of pastry, but I'm not sure why; it's not like I know anything about pastry. I made a pie last year and it was a huge event.

JohnK said...

Angel Food Cake Slicer
(I can't believe my head is filled with information like that)

JohnK said...

Angel Food Cake Slicer
(Can't believe I have a head full of this information)

Janice in GA said...

I'm pretty sure it's an angel food cake cutter.
Amazon agrees:
http://www.amazon.com/Chef-Gadget-Angel-Food-Cutter/dp/B00024WNYU

(formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

It's a cake slicer. We had one in the house when I was growing up. That's the only way I'd have known what it is. :)

purplecatlady said...

I believe this is just a "food holding fork". Just stick it in the food and slice, I have a similar one, but it's handle is on top of the tines. I sometimes use the tines as a guide, sometimes not.

purplecatlady said...

I believe this is just a "food holding fork". Just stick it in the food and slice, I have a similar one, but it's handle is on top of the tines. I sometimes use the tines as a guide, sometimes not.

Lorena said...

I could be wrong (hey, it's possible)... but I think it's used for tenderizing thick pieces of meat. Like a thick pot roast, not steaks. At least, I would swear that's what my Grandmother used it for. I think. Of course, she was notorious for piloting the USS MAKE SHIT UP in the kitchen, so...

Anonymous said...

Angel food slicer. You stick the tines in and pull it toward you. This tears the cake. When you slice with a knife it smashes the cake. We actually used one growing up but they were popular in the fifties.