Monday, November 28, 2011

mom's new hat

I know that what I am about to tell you is going to make me sound like one crappy excuse for a daughter, but the reality is: I am a selfish knitter, and I rarely knit for other people, and that is why my mom has been asking for me to knit her a hat for awhile (years, in fact), and hasn't gotten one.

Well, I guess I wouldn't exactly say she has been asking. It's been more like very strong hinting, including her reminding me regularly how cold it is outside...and if she only had a HAT. Stuff like that. A couple of years ago, when she was shivering and whining, I gave her a hat I had just finished. A very warm hat, at that. And she wore it (or at least she says she did), but she always made it very clear that she was really just tolerating it, and that it wasn't the hat that she really wanted.

A few weeks ago, I started knitting a hat for her. It was yarn and a matching pattern that came in a club kit from Knitspot, and it had enough yarn to make a hat plus matching mitts (which she had also been "hinting" about lately). I started the hat, and was going to surprise her with it, but about half way through the hat I got worried it might not fit or be to her taste. It was my buddy James at the convalescent hospital that urged me to check in with her before continuing. Sure enough, when I showed it to mom, she didn't like it. And the poor hat is now staring at me from the WIP (Work In Progress) pile waiting to be completed. *sigh*

The hat she really wanted, she told me, is the hat in the vintage photo I posted not too long ago:


I had yarn left over from the scarf that TheMostImportantGuy had claimed, and over the summer when I was dealing the dog attack crap, Lorraine/MaidInEngland had gifted me the purchase of a pattern, that I swear, matches my mom's hat old hat almost to a T.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd say I was pretty damn close this time.

And now mom has already ordered another pair of socks. LOL



Ravelry link to Mom's Fenimore.

2 comments:

~Donna~ said...

Love the hat, your Mom looks great in it and very happy to have it!

You better get going on those socks, keep her warm from head to toe.

not supergirl said...

That hat is a great match. She looks pleased. :)

I have to tell you, I had a weird experience today while surfing the web. A friend directed me to this link: http://www.theworkingworld.org/index.php?action=market&subsection=1
The organization is one the teams with workers, offering slightly larger than microloans so that they can be the owners of their own industry. It's pretty cool. Imagine my surprise when I got to the page linked above and saw someone who looks so similar (though certainly not identical) to a blogger I follow. I can't place it exactly, but she reminded me of you. :)