Friday, March 18, 2011

it's 12:14am so this counts as friday's post, right?

Gang, I looooove the Freebie Friday thing, but I'm going to allow myself to skip it this week. I am sorry.

I just got home from dance class an hour or so ago to the news that the gecko ("Flash") died while I was gone.

The gecko had not been eating well for awhile, but that's not all that unusual for him. But today his eyes looked black and he had blood dripping from his mouth. I rushed him to the pet hospital. The doctor found an old piece of shedded skin stuck to the roof of his mouth. He pulled it out, and brought the gecko in back to have his eyes flushed to be given an injection of antibiotics.

When I brought the gecko home after the appointment, I noticed that he had a big sloppy stool in the box he had traveled in. When I lifted him out of the box to return to his tank, he shook his head quite violently, enough to splash blood on my clothing and onto the carpet. He also had blood coming from his bowel region. A couple of hours later, MyFavoriteKid returned home, and we noticed that Flash had this huge swollen bump on the left side of his head (the same side that the dried skin in his mouth been removed from), and that eye was completely swollen shut. He was gone within an hour.

I am upset, and MyFK is miserable. It was his pet. When MyFK was 6 years old, he decided he wanted a gecko. I brought him to the reptile shop and made him speak with people that worked there about what it would entail and how to care for one. He made a list of all the things he would have to buy in order to have a gecko. He saved up all his allowance, birthday money and holiday gift money, and after I long time of saving, he paid for every single thing himself.

MyFK is now almost 14, so Flash has been with us a long time.
We are very very sad.



Fun and freebies will return next week.
Hug someone you love today. xoxo

9 comments:

(formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

I'm so sorry - hugs to both you and the MyFK.

not supergirl said...

Oh hell. So sorry to hear this. The pain of losing a treasured pet is some of the hardest. My sincere sympathy to both of you.

~Donna~ said...

Hugs all around.

Seems it was a rough day for pets and those who love them yesterday...

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the gecko. It was good to dance with you on Thursday tho.

Love, Karen TDL

Karen said...

Oh so sorry about Flash. I know from your past posts that he was well loved member of your family! Take good care of yourself and each other.

thestashattacked said...

Dear MFK, it sucks to lose pets. I'm sorry for your loss.

painting with fire said...

Sorry to hear this - it's so hard to lose a good friend and beloved pets are certainly that!

Pickyknitter said...

Stupid death. I am sorry for your loss and I am hope that you and the kiddo (sorry, A'sFK) had a chance to pat him and say goodbye.

Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry. We lost one of our cats to an accident this week and I know what your FK is going through. My DH rescued this little kitten from the streets and he'd been with him for 12 year (me for 8). It's devastating when a beloved goes. My heart reaches out to you.