Sunday, August 22, 2010

kachink!

This has been one expensive day, kids.

The first big purchase I made today I have been planning on and saving up for. I wrote a few months ago about really needing a new refrigerator. The one I have now came with the house, and was put in when the hosue was first built. It's over 20 years old, which I suppose is not ancient, but it's the basic of the basic of models, too. The last year or so it's been freezing foods on the top shelf of the fridge, and not keeping things cold enough in the freezer. The deal breaker though (for me, at least), is that it makes this horrible buzzing sound when it is in chill-mode. It's kinda like chinese water torture or something. It is seriously making me grind me teeth.

Over the winter, TheMostImportantGuy had done a bunch of research for me. He found a model that would fit in my kitchen without making changes (I have low overhead cabinets), had the features that I wanted (yay! an ice maker!), had a good Consumer Reports review, good feedback from owners, and was rated the most quiet in it's category. We went and looked at it in person a couple fo months ago, but I didn't buy it because I couldn't work out a good delivery date with the sales guy. I missed a big 20% off sale at Sears last month, but today was their 15% version, and I walked right in knowing exactly what I wanted and plunked my money down. I am just thrilled to bits that come a week from Monday, I will no longer be gritting my teeth until I am in a state of lockjaw.
*ahhhhhhhh*

The second big splurge of the day was a bit more of a surprise. My laptop has been giving me greif for months, but I wasn't quite prepared to do anything about it right away, and I was trying to decide whether or not to ween myself off the PC habit and jump on the Mac-wagon.

I went in to Best Buy today to just play with the MacBooks and see how I liked them, and I somehow ended up walking out with iPad and I keypad docking station.

From which I am blogging from now.
I hope.

I am having so much fun experimenting with pressing buttons (that are not really buttons), and sliding pages around, and tilting screens this way and that way, and...well... who the heck knows what my posts are going to look like for the next week or so!

Tomorrow I will try adding some photos.

3 comments:

Mouse said...

Oooh.. ipad! I played with those and the new iphone at the Apple store last time we were at the mall and totally fell in LOVE. There are some seriously awesome apps - including knitting ones.

Linda said...

Congrats on the new fridge. I know what you mean about the noise and teeth grinding. I felt that way about the vent fan in the bathroom, and it's not used as often as your fridge motor.

Please post more on the I pad when you can. We will probably be getting one because it will allow my husband, who is legally blind, to read for a while longer by way of contrast and font adjustments. I am interested in how easy you think it is to work and also what else you can do with it. DH hates to spend money on something for himself but it's easier to get him to cave when I will use it, too. We plan to go look at one, but I'd rather have a regular person commenting than a sales person. They have ulterior motives. Does the internet look like the internet? I've read that the lack of Adobe Flash causes problems, but am not sure how much.

~Donna~ said...

Cool...my bff just bought a netbook today (wee tiny laptop) and is busy playing with her new toy.

Seems like it was a day to spend money. All I bought tho was toiletries and cleaning stuff. As much as I spent, I prob could have bought something electronic. sigh.