Friday, May 07, 2010

big.

Two legged today.
First time in a couple of years.


It's just....big.

So begins the very early stages of acclimating myself, to be sure. You certainly will not see me jogging down the block or tap dancing anytime soon. If it's anything like the last attempt with a prosthesis (I tried a few years ago), I'll still be using crutches for balance for a bit, then I'll drop down to just one crutch, then I'll ditch that for a cane, and then if I can manage it, I'll graduate to, "Look, Ma! No hands!"

Slow and steady.
It wins the race.
(or so they tell me).

I'll take a few pics of the upper part (the socket) this weekend, and tell ya' how it's going. But for now, I gotta go. I have a bunch of figuring out to do. I basically get to relearn how to do everything again. EVERYTHING. Even getting dressed or undressed or using the little girls room or getting in or out of the car...none of that is gonna happen on autopilot for awhile.

I'm up to it. No complaints, even.
But it's still...big!

11 comments:

The Bon said...

*mwah* Thinking lots of good thoughts for you and speedy retraining/successful (or at least minimally frustrating) prosthesis wearing!

FUZZARELLY said...

Big? How? As in bulky and heavy?

Lorena said...

*smooches*

Liana Weiland said...

Woohoo! Look at those lovely legs!

The whole "little girls room" thing was what really surprised me when I started with my prosthesis. You'd think sitting and doing your business would be easy. But no.

GOOD LUCK and... Godspeed? Godslowandsteady? Just good luck. :)

Gwen said...

I'm thinking it's not so easy learning to walk etc etc etc. Again. And you don't have a big ole diaper on your butt to cushion the sudden sit downs.

Are you going to have to go back and knit second socks now? And what about all those lonely shoes? Will they be no longer so lonely?

JennaKate said...

It is really big. I'm wishing you strength for the journey. Hang in there!

ginaknits said...

This is a really big thing. All the best to you. Having to relearn and rethink every move is quite a challenge, but you sound so up for it. Let me know when you're ready for tap dancing!

jodi said...

Yay!

Second sock syndrome, here you come?

~Donna~ said...

YAY! I'll try really hard not to forget the other pink Chuck next week. That new foot of yours is so crying out for it!

Unknown said...

my friend, Ash, has a leg like yours, and his surviving leg is full of metal. He walks unaided now.

Obsessed with knitting said...

How awesome! And your skirt is SO cute! :-)