Monday, July 06, 2009

the incentive dress

In the last 5 years, I've packed on a whole lotta weight.

I am a user of crutches and wheelchairs.

It is my opinion that my mobility would be improved were I not schlepping around the equivalent of one big ass sack o' potatoes.

Seriously. In the last 5 years, I've gone from a being a size 10 to oozing up and over my size 16's (which for me meant a weight gain of 45 lbs).

Whenever I mention this here, people say I don't look that big, but that, you see, is because I am the MasterOfBlogPhotoIllusion (*mwahaha*):

master of illusion

Sneaky, eh? And I don't even know how to use photoshop or any of that crap! That's just me playing with clothing and lighting and angles and taking a kajillion or so photos of myself until I get one that looks acceptable.

Here's what I look like when someone else has the camera:


Much. Biggah.

So around mid-February, I decided to grab the bull by the horns, and shed a few pounds. Like 45. Ha. By mid-May, I'd lost about 15 lbs and went from the "can only fit in size 16's if the wasteband is elastic" pants, down to an actual size 14.

Then I stalled.
For weeks. And weeks.

Hence, The Incentive Dress.


I love it.
And I don't fit into it.
It's a size 12.

It was not available in my current size. But they did have the same exact style of dress in my current size, but in a different (less adorable) print. I tried it on, and it fit, and I verified that I like the cut and shape. But this green print that I love so much? It was only available in the next size down, and I was clooooose (but no cigar!) to being able to zip it up.

I was really hesitant to buy the danged thing, because I do not believe that one should spend money on the hopes of fitting into something. This is especially so because this was no cheap dress. I never spend this much on a dress (this was from Macy's...the rest of my dresses? Target. LOL).

As TheMostImportantGuy pointed out, if it was a cheap dress, it wouldn't be much incentive.
Good point.

So the dress hangs in my kitchen. I move it around from place to place. Like, I hang it so as to make it difficult to open the cabinet that houses the snacks. Or sometimes I hang it right smack in front of the refrigerator door.

If this little summer dress doesn't fit me until winter, I'm gonna be pissed.

8 comments:

Cate said...

that is GENIUS.

also, beautiful dress!

Mouse said...

Great dress- Good luck!

CraftyGryphon said...

That's brilliant. Having it out Where You Can See it... I know I've got something similar (if I can remember back to 2007), and I'm gonna find it this weekend and put it where I can actually see it (preferably, from the refrigerator door!).

Amanda said...

The incentive dress idea is brilliant. I have had incentive clothes before but never on purpose. Usually they're on sale and I'm too lazy to try them on.

Oh and the "bad" picture? I've seen you in person and you don't look like that. That's a bad picture of you period.

~Donna~ said...

Great minds think alike...I just bought an incentive dress myself this past weekend. It was extremely inexpensive (can you say Ross dress sale?) but it is very fancy. As in dress me up and take me out fancy - like Symphony fancy. And it's pretty and the cut is awesome on me. And I am close to getting into it (size 14) and hope to be there by end of summer. Altho at the rate I'm going, it might be fall before I do it.

Anyway...enough blabbering!!! You can do it! That dress is very cute and you'll look absolutely fabu in it!

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

Cate ~ thank you!!

Mouse ~ I need it ;-)

CraftyGryphon ~ Hey! Cool to see you here in blogland!! And YES, I do believe the key is to putting it where it is totally in the way and an inconvenience, not just a reminder. The outfit needs to run interference

Amanda ~ Yah, this is my first time on purpose, too. And umm YAH, I do look like that, cuz that IS ME lolol

Donna ~ Dude! When you get into it? I will take you to the symphony! (or something) How is THAT for incentive?!

jane said...

awesome, and if it doesn't fit you till winter, i guess you'll be needing a caribbean/mexican/insert warm place here holiday!

jane

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

jane ~ NOW we're talkin'! (but I sure hope I fit into it before then!)