Sunday, October 12, 2008

an update, some knitting, and one cute baby

Today found me feeling somewhat better. Haven't needed any medications since Friday night. Energy is up some, and I feel less like I have been kicked in the ribs. Less nauseous, but heartburn-y still. Seems like Mr. and Mrs. Food and I need to have a little come to Jesus.

I would really like to thank everyone for the well wishes and information. It was quite reassuring, and I am thankful to all of you. To be honest, if y'all hadn't chimed in, I might have gone a wee bit loopy. It was really helpful to my spirits to not feel alone and to know that life does go on.

Here's where I am at with the gallbladder thing right now:
* I'd like to keep it if I can. Lord know, I'm already missing enough parts ;-)
* I know people can live without their gallbladders, but I'm not in total agreement that it is not a necessary organ. Seems to me that if I can hold on to mine, I should try.
* I should hopefully have more information on the 21st when I meet with the surgeon. I still don't know how many gallstone there are, where there are (like, are in the in the ducts?), or how big they are. That information seems like a big piece of the decision making process to me though, no?
* Meanwhile, I am still researching alternatives, and most point back to having that chit-chat with Mr and Mrs Food. Seems like I will be needing to do that whether the gallbladder stays in or comes out.
* I am not taking this lightly, and if I need surgery, I will have it. I'm not about to let this problem snowball into something that wreaks havoc on the my pancreas or any other body part.


Meanwhile, I have been knitting. I've got various things on the needles right now and I have tinkered with all of them (which basically means no visible signs of progress)....but I had me a new baby to go visit this weekend, so I made her a hat and some booties.


Baby Hat and Booties (ravelry link)
Hat
Pattern: Shop Sample #52, free with purchase, from ImagiKnit
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Angel, #52 Valentine, 1 skein
Needles: US #9
Mods: When down to last 4 sts, switched to Lambs Pride Worsted in Mulberry to make an i-cord, which I sewed into an infinity symbol
Booties
Pattern: Ruth's Perfect Baby Booties by Ruth Bennett (the pdf version--the blog version has errata)
Size: 3 to 6 mos
Yarn: cast on with the LPW and when got to the top of the bootie switched back to the Angel. A 12" i-cord for the ties knit with the LPW
Needles: US #4
Mods: worked the cuffs in the round on dpns

PS the knitter's gift tags came from the etsy shop Knit It Up, and I just love them. There is a place on the back to write care instructions, too.



KarenTheDancingLurker and I drove up to go visit the happy (but tired) family. I'm telling you, the getting there was half the fun. On the way up Karen and I chatted about fashion and clothes and shoes.....on the way back about food and the why's and why nots of eating. It was a blast. Honestly, Karen. I don't know why we don't hook up more outside of dance class. We should work on that.

I should mention that Karen totally out-knit me. She banged out a hat AND a baby sweater! Totally adorable, both of them.

MyFavoriteKid came along for the ride, too...but he tuned us out during the ride listening to his i-Pod (which he saved up and bought himself!). He's turning into a little headbanger.

The baby was gorgeous. Happy baby. Eyes open and curious. We all got a turn holding her. Here was mine:


Too cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!

5 comments:

M-H said...

Not sure about keeping it - the flare-ups are so unpredictable and the risk of pancreatitis is high. I had a boss once who lived on steamed fish, rice and rice crackers, because everything else set hers off, but she was phobic about surgery and a bit nuts. :) She still had flare-ups. I'll be following along to see what happens next.

Anonymous said...

What big decisions! Glad to see you're still knitting through it. You definitely look like you've had practice holding babies - cute photo!

Mouse said...

Oh my.. this is serious! I hope that you are able to figure this all out and get a solution that doesn't end up with you minus another bit of yourself. The hat and booties are ADORABLE. Looks like you got your mojo back!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had fun because I had fun too. And we definitely have to work on getting together more often. Perhaps a shopping/eating excursion since those seem to be our favorite topics.

Love, Karen TDL

~Donna~ said...

YAY. You're back to blogging and knitting and visiting gorgeous wee baby girls. She's beautiful...as are the hat and booties. I look at my kid and think...good heavens...was he really ever that tiny?

Glad you are feeling better!