Friday, July 04, 2008

snaps on saturday

From the garden:







sunflowers, tomatoes, squash, chive flowers, broccoli

I am very thankful that the zoom lens and the macro feature make it look like I have a lovely garden. What I really have is a friggin' jungle, and if I had a wide angle lens, you'd have a heart attack. I nearly do every time I go out there.

It's been hard for me to be out in the garden the past couple of weeks. It's either been too hot, or there is too much smoke in the air, or my back has been bothering me....but I am really enjoying being in the garden once I get out there, and the bounty is fantastic. I just need to get my butt out there early in the morning before the sun swings around, and take my time so I don't hurt myself.

One of the reasons why the garden is a jungle is because the planting itself was not done by me. It was done by some "experienced" people I hired. They took note of our likes and dislikes, and then planted away. I think they were going for productivity per square inch or something. There is wayyyyy too much stuff here. Too much to eat, too much for me to handle as a beginning gardener, and too much for the plants to be happy (I think. At least that's my hunch).

The good news? I am learning so much! It's pretty true that the plants talk to you. I can totally see what is happy growing where. I can see what mistakes the "experienced" people made in choosing locations for certain things, and I can see the mistakes I've made since they've been gone (ummm, like trying to cage an already overgrown tomato plant?? duh). I can also see what things I will actually make use of. I mean, they planted a whole row of shiso leaf. Neato, but wtf???!!! (hey, any ideas on that? Shiso Pesto or something?? I've only ever rolled it into sushi.)

Even though I plan on tinkering with a winter garden when the summer haul is over (I can hardly wait to try growing brussel sprouts!!), I think that it is next summer that I'll be having the real fun. Even though I'm dealing with the Attack of The Killer Tomatoes this year, these raised beds will be here for years to come, and I'm actually looking forward to it.

I am a bit worried about what the garden is going to look like when I come home after being gone for two weeks (in the peak of July, no less). It's on a drip system, so it should be okay waterwise, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the whole backside of my house is swallowed up by pole beans and zucchini.

6 comments:

~Donna~ said...

Pretty! I don't care what your garden looks like...just don't let me near it - I kill everything I touch. Can't grow anything out here in CA at all! Makes me very sad cos I had a jungle of gorgeous plants in my house in TX!

And you're a day early with your snaps! BUt I like them anyway.

See you and the jungle tomorrow!

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

donna ~ Well, all I have done is set the watering thing on a timer. I usually kill everything, too. And yeah! I saw that I thought it was Saturday (feels like one!), but then we can take some new ones tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

A sumptuous feast for the eyes! Thank you!

I love me some shiso sushi. (Try saying "shiso sushi" three times real fast. Now try it after drinking some sake.) It's absolutely simple -- just nori, rice, and a center of shiso -- and absolutely delicious. Also an excellent vehicle for sinus-clearing wasabe. I always order it whenever we go to our favorite local sushi source. It's also tasty when you can incorporate toasted sesame seeds.

I also like shiso on a tofu sub (sourdough baguette, tofu slices, tomato slices, cucumber slices, and then whatever other veggies you like, including but not limited to sunflower sprouts, pea greens, shiso leaf, basil...mmmm...is it lunchtime yet?)

Mouse said...

I think macro makes everything look cooler.. and those are great photos!

Dragonfly7673 (Vicki) said...

I love the snaps, regardless which day you think it is *grin*

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

sara ~ yeah, I've never had shiso except for in sushi. But I'm going to try a pesto out of it. I'm thinking walnut, but the flavor of that night might be too strong, so maybe pine nuts.

mouse ~ yeah, now if only it made my skin look better hahahaha

dragonfly ~ thanks!