Sunday, March 02, 2008

road trip!

Early in the week I realized that MyFavoriteKid was going to be at his dad's Saturday and Sunday, and that I had nothing on my calendar. I immediately broke out the map to look for a place that TheMostImportantGuy and I could head out to for an overnight run in the van. We made our way to Bodega Bay. It was a great weekend.


I really enjoyed this trip, and could not believe how close it was to home. I had so much fun, that I think I'm going to do it all over again next weekend, but with MyFk. I haven't taken him out overnight in the van yet.

See, I've been acclimating myself. First, I did a day trip into the Napa Valley, just to get used to driving the beast. For the second trip, TheMIG and I took the van to a more commercial RV park so I could practice hooking up and running the water and electrical systems. This weekend, we went to a state campground with no hook-ups, so I got to learn how to "boon dock" (at least I hope it is called boon docking. I read that term in a RV magazine somewhere, but knowing my luck it's probably something only a dork would say. The equivalent of my grabbing a CB radio and calling out "breaker breaker, good buddy!". It would be just like me to say it to some seasoned full time RV-er and look like a moron).

Anyhow, now that I feel more confident operating the van, I am ready to add in the kid. And there is my reason for wanting to go back to the same place two weekends in a row. The skills and the location will be repeats. The only variable will be the PARENTING (I must continue to break myself in incrementally, so as not to go insane). I also think it's smart of me to try one night out with MyFK before we take our first long trip over spring break. I think it will benefit both of us.

And something tells me that camping with MyFK is an entirely different experience than a weekend roadtripping with TheMIG.

Ya' think???

3 comments:

JohnK said...

That was always one of my favorite getaway trips. and close enough to Point Reyes. less than an hour.

M-H said...

I've been to Bodega Bay, when I travelled in the US in 2000. Friends of mine used to live in an old creamery building there and we stayed in the motel overnight. Lovely, lovely place. Our stay was much too short.

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

John ~ Yes! I have spent quite a bit of time at Point Reyes, though. Love it there. I might swing by next weekend. I have a friend showing in a gallery there right now.

m-h ~ Yes, very lovely. Can't wait to go back! It's only about 1-1/2 away!