Tuesday, March 25, 2008

lunch at andersen's

Here is my earliest memory of Andersen's....I think I was around age 7.

I was served up the specialty of the house: Pea Soup. I am guessing the color and texture of the bowl of green slop wasn't enticing. My parents talked me into eating the entire serving telling me there was going to be a surprise at the bottom of the bowl. I ate the whole bowl, scraping away even the few last bits so that I could see what was down there. I don't know what I was expecting, but I guess I didn't feel ripped off to find out it was just a cartoon and not a pony.



that would be Hap-Pea and Pea-Wee, folks


Thirty-five years later, I still go looking for the same surprise....and it is always exactly the same surprise...and even though I know that's the surprise that's coming...I still get a little excited as I get to the bottom of the bowl and get to see parts of the image being revealed...and I still somehow feel a little surprised. By a cartoon. At the bottom of a bowl of soup. I know. Shut up.

That's MY empty bowl up there in that photo, by the way. My own kid wasn't gullible enough to fall for that trick. He did take a taste, but just barely, and before the flavor could even merge with his tastebuds, he claimed he didn't like it.
Poor child.
He has no idea what he's missing :-)
We did both laugh when he finished his burgers and fries and there was a pic of some Nascar dude and his car on the plate. Hey, at least he got something.



doggie pretending to be Pea-Wee

2 comments:

Carol said...

Wow, your kid will actually taste new foods? I'm jealous...

LERVE that puppeh. God, I want to snorgle his sweet-smelling puppy fur and get my faced licked.

Julie R. said...

What a cool place!! I'm not sure, but I think even *I* would try split pea soup if I thought there was a surprise at the bottom!!

My daughter is just like your son in regards to food: Makes up her mind before she even puts it in her mouth.