Tuesday, February 19, 2008

empty collar, no more kitteh


MyFavoriteKid is home sick from school.
It is raining out.
And I just had to put my cat down.

I'm so incredibly sad, and I don't feel much like eulogizing. I also know how I am about getting back to posts that I avoid in the first place because they are too emotional, so maybe I'll say at least this much for now:

Tramp just turned 18 last week. He'd been with me since I was 23. I'm 41 now. We go way back.

He was acting a little strange over the weekend, but he wasn't acting like he was in pain. My plan was to bring him to the vet first thing this morning after dropping MyFavoriteKid off at school. That didn't happen because MyFK stayed home sick, but by 1030am or so, Tramp's "acting a little strange" became acting a whole lot strange. Within an hour, it was a rapid downward spiral, and his state progressed from bad to worse while we were at the vets.

MyFK decided to come with me, even though I gave him the option of staying at home by himself. My parents were unavailable to babysit, and TheMostImportantGuy offered to come up and either stay with MyFK or take the cat in. We had actually decided to do some version of that. I had just made a 330pm vet appointment, giving TheMIG time to get here, but like I said, it became clear that cat was not going to make it that long. MyFk agreed we should just go, and that he would come, too.

Tramp just sort of fell apart while we were there in the office. He had a tumor, and the vet wasn't at all confident that he'd survive the treatments they would offer. He was just really old, and really really weak. It was an extremely difficult to decision to make to put him down, but I just couldn't see him being poked and prodded in his last hours by strangers only so they could re-determine that he wasn't able to withstand surgery anyhow.

MyFK and I were both with him when he went to sleep, and it was really hard, and really sad, and I'm crying about it now, so I should probably quit typing. This is the first pet MyFk has lost (besides a Beta Fish, not that a fish doesn't count...it does...but this seems bigger), and Tramp had been with him since he was born. We'll be getting his ashes back in a couple of weeks, and we'll do a proper ritual when we bury him in the yard.

Tramp was a cranky old cat, and I used to call him NuisanceKitty, because...well, he WAS a NuisanceKitty. But I loved him so very much, and life without him after so long is going to be very strange.


I will miss you KittenHead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll try to keep up with Blog365, but please forgive if you just see a bunch of FillerTypeCrap here for a few days.
I just need a little time.

26 comments:

Dani said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. I know that it's crushing even when you know you are doing the best you can for them, so I am thinking lots of love and peace in your direction.

JohnK said...

Sorry, really.
*hugs*

FUZZARELLY said...

So sorry.

I've been there with our dogchildpet, named Bonnie.

Just grieve. It's okay.

M-H said...

Oh no, no, no... I am going to have to face this in a while. Riley has ralied a bit but there's really only one way that it's all gonna end. And sooner rather than later. It's hard and sad. Sending warm thoughts.

Mouse said...

*hugs* I'm sorry..

Kerry said...

Oh sweetie, I'm so very, very sorry. I can't imagine how hard this must be on you and your FK. Huge hugs and lots of love heading your way!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I do know, firsthand, how awful and difficult this decision is.

I also believe that it is a gift, of sorts, that we are able to give to our beloved pets.

Love and good thoughts to you and TheFavoriteKid.

(formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

Oh hon I'm so sorry. I've got a skinny, nearly-19 crankykitty myself and I think about it often. Saying goodbye is so hard.

*hugs*

Teresa said...

I so completely understand. I only wish I had stayed with Buck when he crossed over. Our vet discourages that but never again will I let a pet go alone.
He will be with you forever and you will cry even years down the road. Believe me.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your kitty. I had to let one go last year; we had to put her down because her kidneys started to be all wrong. I know how sad it is when there's suddenly one less furry friend in your life. I'm sending you all of my kitty love from here with my overabundance of kitties, and I hope you guys will be okay. If you want another one, there's lots of kittens (and older cats) that always need homes!

Rabbitch said...

I'm so very sorry.

Guernseygal said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, they really worm their way into your heart don't they. We lost one in a very similar way a few years back - I just kept feeling guilty that I should have spotted something wrong earlier ( it was a tumor)but the vet told be not to beat myself up about it because there was no outward sign of a problem until it was too late
Hugs

Kim Ayres said...

((hugs))

kasiaiscarly said...

oh my, i'm crying just reading about it. i'm so sorry you lost your friend.

Lorena said...

Oh, sweetie. Having been there before, a few times, I am sending you and the kid such gentle hugs....

painting with fire said...

I'm so sorry. I've been in that position a few times and it's just awful to have to say goodbye to a beloved friend.

jodi said...

Aw, honey. I'm so sorry. This is never easy. Big squeezy hugs to you and YourFK.

Anonymous said...

*hug*
*hughughug*

Witchypoo said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I wish there were words to make it all better.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. My schnauzer will get extra hugs tonight, in honor of your Tramp.

Ragnar said...

It's so hard to say good-bye to old friends. Much love.

Anonymous said...

I am so, so sorry. I lost my gray kitty last May. He was a horrible pain in the ass and didn't like anyone but me very much. He was generally a huge nuisance. And I loved him so much. I miss him still.
Feeling the loss of Tramp now with you,
Jen

~Donna~ said...

So sorry to hear this...lots of lovely kitteh thoughts go out to you and the FK...sniff sniff...

katrynka said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I had to put my dear dog to sleep right before Christmas. She had a long and wonderful life, but was very ill the last two weeks. She was in my arms as the vet gave her the meds. I am part of a buddhist community. It was so wonderful to talk to people who value all life so highly. Never once did I hear the words "only" a pet. My thoughts are with you and your son.

Jennie said...

I'm so sorry. My cat, Sylvester, died in March 2005 at nearly 19. When they're around so long, it's especially hard. I saw him out of the corner of my eye for nearly a year afterward.

In the end, he was the total Curmudgeon Cat (catmudgeon?). Scratchy, annoying, old-man cat meow. I do feel I was lucky to have him so long, but I know you are too close to it just now. It is so hard. Take care. I hope I see you at Stitches tomorrow. I'll be the one in the freckles, green sweater, and blue backpack.

janna said...

Catching up on blog reading, but I had to offer my condolences. 18 seems to be a hard year for kitties -- my Charlotee went from perfectly fine (albeit cranky) to desperately ill over night at 18. It's so hard, because they're part of your life. And like someone else said -- it's okay to grieve.

Hugs to you and the Kid.....