Monday, January 28, 2008

oh yeah! the hat!

I forgot to post about the hat I finished!


Monster Hat (Alan Thicke & Thin)

Yarn: Monster Hat Knit Kit, from Insubordinknit (kit name: Alan Thick & Thin)

Needles: 10-1/2 dpn's, Crystal Palace

Pattern: none, just wingin' it (although the kit did come with patterns). See, I just cast-on 60 stitches, did about 1-1/2 inches of seed stitch, then switched to stockinette, and knit a tube.



I did a little seed stitch at the other end, too. While knitting, I pulled out some of the black and set it aside, so both the cast on edge and the bound off edge would have black (I have symmetry issues LOL). I used two strands of the remaining black and one strand of more colorful yarn to make a long braid (it's about 48" long).

Then I tied the braid around the hat, to make a little "pom-pom" sort of thing at the top



Then I sewed the patch on (included as part of the kit).

Started: January 21st, 2008
Finished: January 26th, 2008
On Ravelry: here


I like :-)


The whole point of knitting it in a tube (besides the fact that I thought this yarn/hat would look best with some sort of doodad at the top of my head), was so that I could take off the tie and have it double as a neckwarmer.


Double duty. I just slide it down, and just tie the braid around my neck and let the ends of the tie dangle. Cute!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Now I'm working on finishing up the 2nd Helix Glove and the purple scarf. It feels good to be knitting a little bit more than I have in recent months.

9 comments:

The Bon said...

I couldn't pull it off, but it looks so super cute on you! Good colors for you too!

Emma said...

I like it too!

Mouse said...

Cute! Super cute even! The hat is ok too.. lol.

~Donna~ said...

helllooooo gorgeous! Nice to see you modeling handknits again...looks great! i've been toying with the idea of leaving my soon-to-be-new-hat open at the top and doing that too...only i think i'll add some holes at the top and thread a knitted i-cord thru. Yep..think i'll do that... Yay!

what else are you gonna do that i can copy?!?!?!?

Lorena said...

Oh Em Gee! I love it, tres supa-cute! I think the patch really gives it that extra something. :-)

LLA said...

oh yeah! the hat! indeed...

it's fab - and you look fab in it!

(and I love the idea of double-duty as a neckwarmer... might have to try that myself...)

Anonymous said...

I will be creeped out if you make it talk while you are wearing it.

Those really are excellent colors on you.

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

bon ~ yeah well I look silly in hats that do NOT have a doodad on top. I look like a dork when I wear a plain ol' beanie.

emma ~ thanks!!

mouse ~ awwww! *smooch*

donna ~ yeah, I almost did the holes, but I didn't want to mess with it 'cuz I'm a slacker ;-)

lorena ~ I had a feeling you'd like this hat :-) And yeah, it was the patch that made me cave in and shop.

lla ~ thank you!

sara ~ if I wear the patch on the back of my head, it makes me look like I'm Professor Quirrell and the patch is HeWhosNameWeDoNotSpeak. LOL

Sarah Jean said...

Ah, it has a face! Hee. Looks very cute.