Wednesday, December 05, 2007

a first real menorah

Happy Channukah, for those who celebrate. Today is the first full "day", but that means festivities started last night at sundown.

Dinner was at my house last night, and it was a great time. It was myself, MyFavoriteKid, TheMostImportantGuy, my mom, my dad, and their neighbor friend Helen, whom I absolutely adore. I think she told me that she is pushing 70, but if that is true, you'd never guess it. She's always out running around, has lots of social engagements, she exercises several times a week, is going to start going to start pilates next month, she bought herself a newer VW Bug, and she has a mouth on her.
I hope I'm like her when I grow up.

For the gift giving portion of the evening, my mom had this idea for all of us to pick names out of hat for a Secret....hmmmm...what do you call a Secret Santa gift exchange when it is Channukah?....
(have at it, Rabbitch)

Anyhow, we had an anonymous gift exchange.

There was one caveat: your gift had to come from the Dollar Store.
What a hoot.

Helen was my recipient, and I got her a big pink and yellow flower magnet for her to stick on her Bug. Teehee. It seemed to suit her. I was really looking for a tiara, though. I was thinking she'd look great in one, but the dollar store let me down. I only saw princess slippers and boas.

When it came time to open the gifts, we were supposed to somehow make a game out of it by guessing who gifted us. That didn't work out too well because a good portion of us are blabbermouths. Including me. In the case of MyFK, he was pegged instantly. He has no poker-face. As his mom, I love that. I allllllways know when he's pulling my leg.

So, back to the dinner. It was fun and yummy, and it feels so great to have a house I want to and can entertain in (functionally). It's the best. I made a couple of roasted chickens (ala Ina Garten), some green beans with shallots, and a salad with a homemade red bell pepper dressing I learned to make at the workshop I went to this weekend. My mom made potato latkes. MyFK made up the dessert trays (yes, plural) and he also set a stunning table. I am pissed I didn't get a picture of it. It was gorgeous. I think he's been reading my Martha Stewart books when he's on the can or something.

I did get a picture of the new menorah, though.


the new menorah, post party & the first night's lighting

This is my first real menorah, and I love it. Up until now I have used an electric one, just like this. Functional yes (especially with pets and when MyFK was younger--he could light it himself), but this new one with the real candles looks so much more pretty. And not plastic. It represents the Tree Of Life. I hope it becomes an heirloom.


Sunset is just about here again, so it is time to light another candle!

3 comments:

Rabbitch said...

Secret Simcha.

You're welcome.

Gray said...

Yes, that is an absolutely beautiful menorah. We are a mixed family and celebrate Chanukah and Christmas.

I made tons of latkes, and only have two skinned knuckles this year. I also made two gallons of beautiful pink applesauce from apples grown across the street. Heaven is owning your grandmother's Foley mill.

Enjoy the holiday!

Anonymous said...

Very very beautiful. Mazeltov. :)