Saturday, May 26, 2007

yup.



We're in Texas, all right.

We haven't seen too much of it yet. After we checked in at the hotel, and set up base-camp, it was about 8pm. We drove over to a little district called the Forth Worth Stockyards, poked around window shopping and then stopped at the bar pictured above, for some liquid animal ass:



While we were waiting to depart from Oakland airport, a fellow passenger suggested that if we liked Mexican food, we should check out Joe T. Garcia's. He said it was an institution. After a little sluething, we found out it was only a few blocks from where we were, so we headed on over.

The waitress came to our table, asked us if we wanted to start with drinks (yes), and did we want the cheese enchiladas or chicken or beef fajitas.

Hmmm.

TheMIG and I kinda looked at each other quizically, and then back at the waitresss, and asked for menus.

Nope, no menus. So which would you like?

Hmmm.

Well, he's vegetarian (to which she says, "cheese enchiladas, bean tacos"), and I'll take the chicken.

(did you ever see the Saturday Night Live sketch with John Belushi, where no matter what you'd ordered he'd yell out "Cheeseburger Cheeboorger Cheeboorger. Chips--no fries. And coke--no pepsi."?? It was the mexican version of that).

Anyhow, she came back with our margaritas, and she explained that for dinner they serve 1500 people a night. The place was packed even when we left around 10-ish. They had 3 big parking lots, and all were full. Because of the volume of food they need to produce, they keep the menu limited. And it doesn't ever rotate. Enchiladas. Fajitas. That is it. It comes with nachos, guacamole, rice and beans. They've been in business for 35 years, and it is 5th generation family owned....and the food was really good. Mariachi guys, too. Yay.

After dinner, I wanted to head over to Billy Bob's Texas, but TheMIG looked a little tired (he's actually still alseep and has been so for 11 hours now. I'd tell you it's because of the king sized Sleep Number bed in the hotel room, but truth be told, if he is given the option, he will always sleep 10-12 hours. I don't know how he does it). We might try to go to Billy Bob's tonight after the wedding reception, though. The locals told us it was more fun on Saturday nights anyhow. Hope we make it. I want to try to ride the bronco machine.


Hahaha.
Just kiddin'.
I'm always one for a good challenge, but something tells me you might do better with two legs for that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other news, I totally kicked ass on that mondo To-Do list I posted the other day. I accomplished everything I needed to (plus 4 or 5 things that were added), and I didn't even blow an emotional gasket.

Somewhere in the middle of everything, MyFavoriteKid took first place at the District Level Science Fair, plus he did three runs of his school play. I am so proud of him.

The only thing NOT going so great is the closing of the escrow. I have done everything I am supposed to do, inlcuding spending more money in one place than I probably ever will in my entire life...but the seller has failed to produce one important piece of paper. It's the one that shows that she owns the house outright with no liens, and is therefore able to sell it to me. The escrow company told her agent to produce it weeks ago, and he failed to give her that message. I'm trying to be irritated with her agent and not her, but it's getting a little a difficult.

See, when she fell and fractured her hip, her agent asked for a 10 day extension on the closing date. I had a pretty good feeling that 10 days was not enough of an extenstion, and I suspected that they'd come back asking for another one, which I did not want to deal with. I called the seller in the hospital and told her that I was in no rush to get into the new house (because I'm letting MyFK finish out the school year anyhow), so she could have as much time as she needed....but that she needed to pick a date and stick to it, because I have to hire contractors to do the ramp and the floors and don't want to keep resetting the dates. She said the 10 days was enough. And then later complained to all parties involved that I was making her get out next Tuesday, and that I was doing that because I needed to get into the house right away.

???????????????????????!!!!!!!!!

I'll blame it on her pain meds.

But see, now I DO have contractors lined up for next week to come in for estimates because I'm supposed to have keys in my hand Tuesday morning when I get back. Instead, I'm getting a call that escrow is going to be delayed because of her incomplete paperwork, and we're not quite sure for how long yet, because she can't produce the document. And now I'm pissed.

Not pissed enough to ruin my trip, or my good mood, or begin stressing out (thank god I dont have to be out of my current house right away or this would be getting ugly), but now I'm in the state of having a very low tolerance for people who can't get their shit together. Escpecailly when I just spent several days busting my ass to get my own shit together.

Unfortunately, since I got the news of the escrow delay, anyone else who has crossed my path that does not have their shit together....well...let's just say I've been doing the "misdirected anger" thing.

If you dropped the ball on something, this aint the day to tell me.

And now, I'm going to go wake up TheMIG and get him to take me to the Waffle Barn.

5 comments:

Mouse said...

Watch out for the Jackalopes.. I hear they're fierce.

Carrie said...

Grrrr. I really hope she finds that paper. I'd be pretty irritated, too. Have fun in Texas, though. Sounds like an interesting place! =) 10 to 12 hours of sleep? What the heck is that??

Oh, and Jackalopes sneak up on you. Just a warnin'.

Sheepish Annie said...

Sounds like you're having a great time! I've always wanted to go to Texas...

It hardly seems fair for the seller to be so demeaning after you were so kind to her. I remembering thinking how reasonable you were being and how lucky the seller was to have a buyer who understood her situation. Too bad that her side of the selling equation isn't being quite so thoughtful regarding the needs of others. You were truly the "better person" in this scenario.

Anonymous said...

I love that you have a label for kvetching!

I'm sending out good escrow vibes .. have fun in Texas and give me a hollar when you can.

Philip. said...

Love the name of the beer - LOL

Philip
www.disabled-help.org