Friday, February 02, 2007

blogger (silent) poetry reading day

dedicated to TheMIG




Love Song

How shall I hold on to my soul, so that
it does not touch yours? How shall I lift
it gently up over you on to other things?
I would so very much like to tuck it away
among long lost objects in the dark,
in some quiet, unknown place, somewhere
which remains motionless when your depths resound.
And yet everything which touches us, you and me,
takes us together like a violin's bow,
which draws one voice out of two separate strings.
Upon what instrument are we two spanned?
And what musician holds us in his hand?
O sweetest of songs.


~Rainer Maria Rilke~
New Poems 1907-1908
translations: Cliff Crego & Stephen Mitchell

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ed. to add: To read more about this Poetry Day, go here. I was reminded about this via Cara's blog. Last year's poem, here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks...beautiful poem. I'm besotted by such great poems.

Bethieee said...

I love the lantern picture at the top of this post. Thank you for sharing it.