Wednesday, January 31, 2007

blogger doesnt usually make me laugh

Blogger bites. Not that this is news for many of you.

I was forced to upgrade to the "New Blogger" several weeks back, and that was right around the same time that I was asking TheMostImportantGuy for some help in adding Haloscan for comments (so I could see yer alls email addresses and have an easier time replying). Haloscan wasn't equipped for the "New Blogger" a few weeks ago, though. It was only ready for the "Old Blogger" and the "Beta Blogger". Or something. Whatever. We just couldn't make it work right then.

Well, a few weeks went by, and I asked TheMostImportantGuy if he would look into it again. And so he did. Haloscan was ready for the "New Blogger," so TheMIG added it, and within a single press of a button, two things happened that totally flipped me out:

1) ALL comments made to previous posts disappeared. I thought I was adding Haloscan "from this day forward," but noooooo...all of the sudden I had this blog that looks like it has never received an ounce of feedback (I know that's not true, but when I'm having a temper tantrum about it and have emotionally regressed to age 5, that's what it feels like). I didn't know that all the comments were going bye-bye. I think I quit breating for a few seconds, and then it made me cry. The Haloscan was promtly removed, the comments were restored, and I'm back again to my not getting your email addresses delivered along with your comments. I am also now back to feeling my own age again about it, and I'm thinking maybe I'll be more prepared to add Haloscan after having a comment funeral or something.

2) As part of Haloscan being added, the "New Blogger" of mine needed one last upgrade. Within that "upgrade", my entire sidebar content got fucked with. I'm only sort of just getting it back together by fiddling around with the template stuff and basically guessing at what I'm clicking on and hoping it works and doesn't eat my whole blog by mistake. Hopefully I can bring it back to life soon.


But here's the funny part (and this made me laugh so hard, which is good, 'cuz I'm pretty tweaked out with stress right now). As part of my cleaning up the sidebar stuff this morning, I was thinking I should maybe glance over the "About Me" section, and consider updating my profile.

That's when I noticed that next to my "AGE" it says: 250
Bwahahahaha!!!

I'm not sure how that got there.

But I'm thinking I'm leaving it.

9 comments:

~Donna~ said...

I switched the other day and I lost my sidebar stuff too. I wasn't laughing then, but I did chuckle a bit today. It's good to know I'm not alone.

Sending some knitting mojo over your way. There's plenty to go around...

M-H said...

Working as I do with IT I just couldn't stand this. I pay for typepad and I never have any problems. I feel in conrol of my blog and their support is efficient and helpful. But I realise that 'pay' may be the operative word here. :)

Carol said...

I was terrified of losing stuff but managed to come through unscathed. Now I feel an urge to update stuff too. I really like the way you can use tags.

Don't worry, if you lose all your comments, I'll go back and leave a bunch on your old posts. No, no, no need to thank me; that's just the kind of good friend I am.

Rabbitch said...

Oh! Oh! Pick me! I'll comment on all of your old posts too! Starting now and then if they all disappear I'll do it again.

Or, you know, I could go to bed and forget completely which is what I do with most things.

Anonymous said...

I switched to the new blogger and it was pretty seamless. I think everything is same as it ever was. BUT the whole comments without associated email address thing makes me crazy. How 'bout we flood the blogger folks with requests for a new feature???

KelInCal said...

I stumbled across your blog last night and laughed my ass off at the AGE: 250 thing. I think you should leave it!

JohnK said...

I didn't lose any of my stuff (fingers crossed), but I ended up 250 years old, too.

JessZ said...

I think that's in blog years.

Everytime I think about working on my blog I just think of all the stupid problems blogger has and find something else to do.

LLA said...

The upgrade process from old Blogger to new (or Beta, or whatever the hell we're calling it) is enough to age anyone prematurely...

You're awfully hip for a 250 year old!