Sunday, March 12, 2006

break a leg (?)

Today Dandelion Dancetheater is performing at ODC Theater in San Francisco. It's a showing of works-in-progress so that people
(people = potential funders of the project)
can see what material is in development.

This is not my first time performing publically, by any means.
But it is my first real modern dance performance.
And it is my first time performing completely naked.

Wish me luck.
(You never tell a dancer to "break a leg.")
(And you should especially not tell an AMPUTEE DANCER to "break a leg.")
(Breaking a leg would be bad.)
*giggle*

Incidentally, dancers say "merde"...
which is the French word for "shit".

Don't even get me started.
------------------------------------

early morning coffee/computer time revealed this interesting interpretation of the origin of the phrase "Break a Leg":

It has also been peculiarly suggested that the origin of the phrase dates back to Shakespearean days. Apparently at the time, the poor and uneducated (often slow and dimwitted, and referred to as Groundlings) unable to afford real seats, would crowd the front of the theatre, right up against the stage. Transfixed by the performance, when they got really excited the Groundlings were customarily known to drool! Prior to their performance (on a stage besieged by eager Groundlings), actors would wish each other good luck by saying, "May you give such a stirring performance that you fall on the ensuing spit of drooling groundlings, and break a leg!"

HA!!!

AND I also found this list of "good and bad luck superstitions of actors."

Number 15 on the list of bad superstions is:
"People should not knit near the stage"


?!??!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!

1 comments:

Gray said...

I hope the performance went well, You sound very centered and ready to for your performance. I'm really impressed at you courage and creativity to perform today.

I just know that it went well, and that you were wonderful. But no matter how it went, I 'll send my applause and appreciation across the continent.

My daughter and I do a lot of theater, and I was interested in yourinvestigation of the phrase. Thanks! My theater friends will think that I am more knowledgeable that I really am.

Have a wonderful evening.

-Gray