Friday, March 03, 2006

anniversary


Life is fragile.
Everything can change in a matter of seconds.

Two years ago, my car was bisected by a guardrail that speared through the full length of my car.

It’s path travelled across my lap.
I thought my leg was only pinned.
I learned later that the guardrail had amputated my leg upon impact.
The rail was damming the flow of blood.

My car was spotted off the side of the road two hours later.

While trapped in the car, I was awake.
Feeling many many things.
Like organs shutting down one at a time to protect one another. Like determination to find a way out of the car. Like plotting to catch a passerby's attention. Like refusal to die this way. Like complete and total panic. Like a lonliness I have never found the words to accurately describe.

Healing from those moments has been far more difficult
than healing from my injuries.
That's the truth.

I am glad for every moment I have, for every feeling I have, for every experience I have, and for every path I get to cross.

Life is fragile.





4 comments:

Gray said...

I'm so glad you are here. A hard anniversary, but you are doing a terrific job. What a scary story, and well told with just a few words. I hope you are feeling OK.

Thanks for telling us.

Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're still here, kid. :)

jodi said...

So glad you're refusing to let this experience hold you back.

Take care, hon.

-K- said...

Wow, what an amazing story but your reaction to it is so positive, and with no self pity whatsoever.